Friday, December 10, 2010

I Don't Believe My Eyes

Yes, it's another post by yours truly. Not sure why I'm posting again. Must be the cheerful Christmas spirit rubbing off on me. Or maybe it's all the apricot pinwheels I've had today.

In keeping with the musical theme that I seem to have going on (or maybe I'm just trying to escape the Charlie Brown music that's currently playing on our stereo) I thought I'd mention something that my family discovered two years ago.

Have you ever wondered what music looked like? If so, then keep scrolling down and explore Animusic: Computer Animated Music.

So far Animusic has released two DVDs, the first with seven tracks, and the second with eight. They've also released a special High-Def BlueRay disk with most of the songs and bonus features as well. (It's the only reason I want a BlueRay player.)


Fiber Bundles is the sixth track from the second Animusic DVD and is my dad's favorite.


This is the first of seven pieces from the second DVD and is performed by Daft Punk. As far as I know, it's the only song performed by an "outside" band.


Interestingly enough, Aqua Harp is the slowest of all fifteen tracks but is actually my favorite. There are moments where I can't tell if I'm watching something that's animated or if it was actually filmed. This is the only video with water in it and is absolutely incredible.


This is another one of my favorites. (Actually, I like almost every track, besides Resonant Chamber -- that one always makes me think of spiders. *shudders*


This is the last track from the first DVD. At first I didn't like it, but it's grown on me in the past two years and now I really enjoy it.


These are only a sample of the sixteen tracks available between the two DVDs. (There's a bonus song on the first DVD.) Two are songs that are only played with drums (Drum Machine and Gyro Drums) and a track on each DVD on the same set, but with different songs (Pipe Dreams 1 and 2).

Unfortunately, the YouTube quality is rather terrible and it's sometimes hard to tell what's going on. I suggest you go to Amimusic's website and check out their previews for all their tracks. Watching the videos the quality they're meant to be seen in is rather mind blowing. I've had my jaw drop on more than one occasion.


Probably my favorite thing about Amimusic is the fact that you can actually watch the music being played. Every instrument that you can hear in the song is being played in some part of the screen or another.

The most amazing thing is that I will always see or hear something new every time I watch any given video. I'll notice something that is going on in the background or discover another instrument that I somehow missed before. I have moments where I honestly can't believe what I'm watching is animated -- it's just too real looking. And that's half the fun of watching Animusic.

~God Bless~

No comments:

Post a Comment